Choosing an Attorney Could Mean the Difference Between Imprisonment & Freedom
Our Miami criminal defense lawyer advises you to consider the following tips on choosing the best possible attorney for your case:
- Know your rights. Understanding when police officers should read your Miranda Rights and conduct warrantless searches is a critical component of your case and legal rights altogether, as police officers often violate suspects’ rights upon arrest.
- Retain a criminal defense lawyer who concentrates on the specific defense you need and will take time to learn about your side of the story.
- Understand that public defenders are reserved for those who cannot afford private attorneys. They have limited time and resources to work on each case, resulting in insufficient representation.
- Many lawyers have different areas of knowledge in defending crimes, so hire an attorney who is experienced in the specific charges you’re facing.
- Consider the lawyer’s reputation. Word of mouth and website reviews are often the most reliable ways of learning about a person’s reputation.
- Think about how you want to be represented. All attorneys have different approaches to defending cases, such as being aggressive or more passive. They even dress and speak differently, therefore you should keep these elements in mind when choosing your lawyer.
- Get a face-to-face meeting with your potential lawyer, as phone and email conversations will not reveal a person’s character like in-person consultations will. You can also discuss legal fees in detail and understand all your options.